Friday, May 19, 2006

Extra bonus blog…

I did not realize that I would have access to a computer this evening but I had a good start to my adventure today and I wanted to share.

A friend gave me a CD with some silly songs on it, thanks doc, and I was almost crying as I was driving down the road listening and laughing to/with it. Then the song “If The Devil Was A Man” by Chris Tomlin and Ross King came on. This too is a silly song but it had a catchy tune so I let the song repeat and I listened to it again.

The song talks about sins we just cannot seem to ‘kick’. If we claim to be a Christian the Bible tells us to conform our minds (ie. thoughts & motives leading to actions) to the mind of Christ. As we spend time studying the Bible, praying, and listening to God through prayer and medication on His Word, we come to understand more about God’s character.

This song talks about cursing, gossip, lust and pride. These and other sins (yes they are sins not just character flaws) can at times seem to overwhelm us. Even at times appearing as ‘unbeatable’. I realized however, that when I come to this feeling of inadequacy and defeat by the devil or my own sin, I need to remember that God is full of grace and mercy. If I will correct my unrepentant heart/attitude (make an attitudinal adjustment—that’s just for the pharmacy students!) God is consistent/reliable to forgive my sin and to clean my heart once again. I also realized I need to remember that in the final evaluation, a Christian will not be defeated by a reoccurring or lingering sin nor by any temptation the devil may consistently hurl our way. In the end, the devil will be defeated and my shortfalls will be corrected by Jesus; either now as my mind is being conformed to the likeness of Christ or in the final evaluation when I am unshackled from my fleshly nature once an for all.

Whatever our reoccuring sin, when it creeps up on us or stares us in the face, right then, we need to press into our relationship with Jesus through prayer or scripture and ask God to help us resist the current temptation. Doing this will not be for the sole purpose of avoiding the current sin and obtaining yet another gold star on our 'heavenly good works' classroom pictogram. Doing this will enrich our relationship with God and mature us as believers.

3 Comments:

Blogger Troy said...

Justin, thanks for pointing that out. I missed it when I read the post. Only a pharmacist would make that slip-up. :)

Great post, Mr. Hopper

Mon May 22, 02:03:00 PM 2006  
Blogger OS Hopper said...

Thanks for the correction. I mean, meditation.

Mon Jun 05, 06:30:00 PM 2006  
Blogger Shane Lechler said...

Also these sins you are talking about (as do all sins) hinders the prayers we are trying to lift to God. "If I regard wickedness in my heart, the Lord will not hear" (Psalm 66:18). We all are sinners, and all have fallen short of the Glory of God,but do you have sins you haven't repented for or confessed to God? The lord comands us to do this in Acts 17:30.
Thanks that my $0.02

Wed Jun 07, 11:33:00 AM 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home