Thursday, July 13, 2006

Baylor University

I have a beef with Baylor University. Years ago, when I was preparing for college I was very excited about attending BU and studying science in the Biology and Chemistry departments. I applied, visited the campus and was accepted. As the story goes, I did not attend Baylor; I graduated from a state school after studying in both aforementioned departments. Looking back, I am glad that I did not attend Baylor.

If you are not aware, BU is funded in part by one of the largest Christian denominations in America. One reason for wanting to attend this school was that Baylor has a great reputation for turning out good scientists. I was also intrigued by the opportunity of learning at an institution with a spiritual background similar to my own.

The taste of Baylor turned bitter in my mouth after contacting the biology department dean and talking with other professors in the biology and chemistry departments. The esteemed professors at this religious institution not only preached Darwinian Evolution (a theory denounced by their founders and currently affiliated base) they preached only DE and actually ridiculed me when I asked about alternative theories such as Intelligent Design and Creationism (fewer holes than DE theory). DE is a theory not proven fact. Holding on to this or any other theory so tightly when there are so many unanswered questions is Intellectually Dishonest and ignorant.

In my book, Baylor University's Biology and Chemistry departments are a disgrace to their respective disciplines (sciences, in which all possible theories should be analyzed). My opinion is that the religious denomination that supports BU is betraying their own doctrines and should either push for PhD professors that are more open-minded or withdrawal affiliation from this secular university.

ps. If you have more recent or further first hand experiences with BU I would love to hear from you; either here or via my personal email address.

1 Comments:

Blogger Troy said...

It is because of stories like these that I become sad when I hear the name Baylor University. I know many good people that graduated from Baylor. I know solid Christian men and women that are attending or have attended Baylor.

However, your story is an example of how this university is sacrificing its Christian foundation to achieve a higher secular standing.

There is more to this issue than can be written here. Thank you for sharing your story, Mr. Hopper.

Thu Jul 13, 01:29:00 PM 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home