Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Stage 1: Almost complete!


When I first received this guitar it had several ‘issues’, the least of which was it needed a cleaning. Over the break my goals are 3 fold: 1) build a new floating bridge; 2) look for a pickguard; 3) restore the face of the body because it is cracked x3 and the structural integrity of the face was reinforced with duct tape and glue.

Today I finished both the prototype (Pine) and final product (Birch). The problem was that I guessed wrong on the original type of wood used. The website I found suggested Birch. This is too soft for a bridge. Now that I have a good blueprint I just need to find some harder wood. I think I am going to go with either Ebony or White Oak. I have no idea what type of wood was used in the 1950s.

4 Comments:

Blogger AyDubb said...

Cool beans!

Tue Jan 02, 11:52:00 PM 2007  
Blogger Jeanine said...

Is restoring the guitar anything like restoring furniture?

Thu Jan 04, 11:54:00 PM 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you could say it's an "ebony or ivory" guitar!

Fri Jan 05, 09:28:00 AM 2007  
Blogger OS Hopper said...

The only furniture restoration I have partaken in involved paint stripping and then repainting. So I will let you know.

Fri Jan 05, 06:10:00 PM 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home